Trade a traditional veil for a more minimal accessory with this gorgeous headpiece. Pearls, feathers and veiling accent starched crochet flowers for an effect that’s truly heirloom-worthy.
By Roxana Ramseur
AUNT LYDIA’S Classic Crochet Thread, Size 10, each ball approx 350yd/320m (cotton)
• 1 ball #226 Natural
Note Thread quantities are sufficient to make many flowers and leaves
• Size 8 (1.5mm) crochet hook or any size to obtain correct gauge
• 16 rice-shaped fresh-water pearl beads, 5–5.5mm diameter (hole drilled through length)
• 56 rice-shaped genuine pearl beads, 3–3.5mm diameter (hole drilled through width)
• 16 cream seed beads, size 11/0, 1.5mm diameter
• 3 cream bugle beads, size 2, 11/0, 3–4mm long
• 3 ivory goose biots, 4½"/11.5cm long (or other slender, pliable feathers)
• 8 x 18"/20.5 x 45.5cm ecru hat veiling
• #10 beading needle
• #7 sharp sewing needle
• Hand-quilting thread to match
• Beeswax (for coating thread and making it stronger)
• Thin metal headband (metal strongly recommended), 3/8"/10mm wide
• 18"/45.5cm cream grosgrain ribbon, #3, 50% cotton/50% polyester, 5/8"/16mm wide
• Hot glue or bridal glue
• Fabric starch suitable for use on cotton crochet thread
• Yarn needle
Note about patterns
This is a pattern preview only. It is provided so that readers can see the photos and check that they have the necessary supplies. The pattern for this project appears in our May/June 10 issue, available in hard copy only. To get just the issue with the pattern, call 800-865-7240 for the individual issue. To buy the issue online, click here (supplies also available). Don't miss any of our patterns in the future: subscribe now.
To find this pattern, purchase the May/June 10 issue. If you have specific questions about this pattern, please email the editorial staff.
Crochet Today! is now available in digital format: Apple iPad, Nook, Kindle Fire, Google Play, and Zinio.
Don't miss any of our patterns in the future: SUBSCRIBE NOW. International subscribers can SUBSCRIBE HERE.