Get The Most Out of March Fiber Events
Spring Knit, Crochet and Yarn Events
By Kathryn Vercillo of Crochet Concupiscence
Springtime is a terrific time to get out of the house and enjoy the fiber festivals and crochet events in your area!
Tips for Maximizing the Event Experience
Get the most out of any fiber event with these top tips from festival-goers:
- Look at the information in advance and create a loose schedule for yourself. This is especially important at the big festivals, like the upcoming Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival--there so many things going on that they require advance planning.
- Sign up for a class or two. It’s always great to learn something new in crochet when you have the opportunity to hear it from a master!
- Schedule some downtime for meandering through the shopping area. You may want to be smart and set yourself a budget; it’s so easy to overspend on all of the great yarn, crochet books, and accessories at these events!
- Plan to meet up with your online friends. Send a shoutout on Twitter or Facebook to let people know you’ll be at the event. See who else will be there and take your online connections offline.
- Bring your business cards, flyers, and other self-promotional stuff. It’s a yarny networking event, after all, and you never know who else you might meet!
- Pack a crochet project. Although these March events are jam packed with activities, there’ll also times when you’re waiting in line or just taking a breather. A project that easily fits into your bag is a smart choice to have on hand.
- Will you be flying to a fiber event? Here are some tips for packing a yarn project for air travel.
Popular March Fiber Events
Spring Knitting and Stitching Show
Projects for the home, crochet and knitting for babies, sewing, upcycling, patchwork… you’ll find it all at this annual show! More information.
Pittsburgh Knit & Crochet Festival
A fun opening reception features Anna Hrachovec's Mochi-Mochi themed installation. The fun doesn't stop there, though; it's followed by two days of classes, shopping, a Saturday night PJ Party, and more. More information.
Second Annual Festival of Alabama Fiber Arts
Old Alabama Town, AL
This juried event showcases the state's rich textile tradition, bringing together noted fiber artists in a hands-on atmosphere. More information.